Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nice, but not perfect

Hotel review of:
Crowne Plaza Southbury
1284 Strongtown Road
Southbury, Connecticut
203-598-7600

The outside of the hotel does not look as upscale as you would expect a Crowne Plaza to look. Inside was very nice, but the elevators were hesitant to open their doors when you reached your floor and this made for a few nerve-wracking moments. Nothing was free or discounted and the fact that I was a Priority Club member didn’t seem to register with them even though I gave them my Priority Club card at registration and they took a copy of it. I had made my reservations on Priceline.com for half as much as the going rate at this hotel, but other times I had still been given my Priority Club benefits.

The room was small. The plug in the bathroom sink did not work and so when I tried to wash out some delicate items, I could not. The shower made a horrible shrieking noise and the water as not ever really hot, hot. It was ok for a shower, but not really hot.

Room service was quick. I ordered room service the first two nights but got rather nauseous to my stomach after both meals. I am not sure why. It could just have been me. I did not go out on Thursday as I had planned because I was still not feeling well. The food was very good-expensive as room service always is. ($10 for a burger and fries plus $3 for the room service—$2 for the server and 60 cents tax.) I had a lot of stuff with me since I am working at a festival while I am here. The second young woman who brought my meal on Thursday night stared around her and exclaimed, "You sure have a lot of stuff!" She seemed quite young and naive.

A maintenance man came to fix my telephone which wasn't working and discovered that the plastic thing that plugs into the phone was broken. He was quite nice and quick, very efficient.

I stayed 5 nights while I was working at the festival. For some reason after my first night there, I had to go down to the lobby to get my door entry card re-activated. I was sick on Wednesday night and Thursday and did not leave the room. For some reason, they had checked me out of the room and listed me as a no-show for Thursday. When I went to get my key reactivated, there was a lot of stuff that had to be done and managers to be called to fix the situation. They were nice, but I still don’t understand how they could have not known there was someone still in the room. I had room service and a repairman both on the day they said that I was a no-show. I was already there. Weird. They fixed it and everything was fine. I am waiting to see what happens when I check out on Monday morning.

No comments: