Sunday, May 2, 2010

Barefoot Bernie's in Hagerstown,MD

I've been to the Barefoot Bernie's in Kittyhawk, NC and I was so hoping to hear and feel the incredible music and ambience of the islands, but no way, mon. This place looks OK from the outside--a little kitschy, but that would be fine if they could pull it off. Island time can be lots of fun. Inside would probably have been better with the Beach Boys heading to Cocomo or Jimmy Buffet wasting away somewhere, but there was no music or it wasn't very loud if it was there.

The waitress was just plain unfriendly and she looked wore out and unhappy too. I was there on a Monday night at about 6 PM and the place was--well--dead. The food was OK. Nothing fabulous, but the food was the star here when I thought the atmosphere would/should be.

At least they had a Margarita special on Mondays. Margaritas were 3.76--$4 with tax. They call them Monday $4 Margaritas. The Margarita packed a pretty good punch for a small one, too.

I had an order of cheese sticks which were pretty normal, nothing incredible. The crab melt sandwich was great and inexpensive too, only $10.99 and since both sides were covered, it had a good quantity of fresh tasting crab. The house crab sandwich is $13.99 and there is a special of two smaller crab sandwiches for $12.99 on Mondays. With the very good fries, I think I made the right choice.

I hope this place livens up in the summer time. If it does, it could be a lot of fun. The waitress really needs to learn to smile though.

No comments: