Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rathskeller Restaurant & Bar: A fabulous find in Southbury, CT

This is a small, but wonderful restaurant in the basement of a beautiful house near Exit 15 of interstate highway 84 in Southbury, VT. The food is incredible. The service was also fabulous possibly because the owner waited on me herself most of the time. Since I was sitting alone, she talked with me quite a bit and both she and her husband were super sweet. I loved the great hat that the owner was wearing with Mayday flowers on it.

The bar put me so much in mind of "Cheers" that I kept waiting for someone to shout, "Norm!" when the various regulars walked in the door to shouts of greeting. It wasn't quite as overly familiar as "Cheers," but the environment was that hometown friendly, but with wonderful food.

I had one of the best appetizers of my life. They call it the Mozzarella Carozza. It is the size of a piece of bread. The menu describes this work of art as sliced mozzarella lightly breaded and fried with house marinara for $6.99. That doesn't begin to describe the wonderful chunky, chewy goodness of this concoction. Wow! That is all I can say.

I also had the Cooper's Chicken Sandwich which was a crisp chicken cutlet, cheddar cheese and bacon with Ranch dressing. This was served with a choice of side and luckily, I chose the homemade potato salad. It was one of the best restaurant potato salads I have had over my lifetime. The sandwich was served cut in half to make it a bit easier to manage. There was also a half a pickle. I so miss New England.

I chose my meal off the sandwich menu which is always available. The dinner menu is adventurous and features things like Pumpkin Ravioli in a white wine cream sauce with crispy sage and Jack Daniels steaks in a peppered cream sauce.

I saw a desert go by which was huge and looked like it would cause a chocolate orgasm. I couldn't finish my meal after the filling appetizer, so I loaded half of everything into my doggie bag and resolved to stop back again on my way back home. I will definitely go back to this little gem.

No comments: