Saturday, October 27, 2007

Loch Lomond


My first task was deciding whether or not John was an axe murderer. Once he passed that test, we motored off toward Inverbervie where he lived. Ever the considerate host, he traveled by way of Loch Lomond giving me a chance to take the high road and meet him "On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond."

As we traveled at breakneck speed (which I later learned is very normal for all Scottish drivers) I had glimpses of breathtaking beauty through my clenched hands over my eyes. There are about 23 islands that are considered a part of Loch Lomond. Above is Tarbert Island a picturesque private island in the loch. At slower speeds, I would have enjoyed it a lot more, but then we would have taken more than the allotted two-and-one-half hours to get to the pub in Inverbervie. I also learned that the national sport of Scotland is a tie between footy (soccer/foorball) and drinking and that the Scots take to both with an abandon that humbles even the best of us Yanks. These lads can really put it away!

No comments: